Click ‘Map’ for the specific route
|Return Route Number||Return Walk||Distance||Route||Complete Circuit|
|20||St. Peter’s Church – Stretton on Fosse to St. Barnabas and St. Nicholas Church – Burmington||3.0 miles||Map||8.6 miles|
Ditchford Frary was recorded in 1086 and is now a largely abandoned settlement. Today, it is part of the parish of Stretton on Fosse; at one time it included the Chapel of St. Giles. The Chapel became ruinous by 1642 and was then annexed to Stretton on Fosse. The settlement site is located to the east of Lower Ditchford.
It is thought that the village may have been abandoned because of the Black Death, the dreadful plague that swept through England in 1348. Another reason may have been that throughout the 13th, and part of the 14th century, Europe suffered from climate change with severe winters and cold, very wet summers. This resulted in crop failures and livestock diseases.
Evidence of the settlement can be found in the visible remains of roads and trackways, earthworks and ridge and furrow field patterns.