Click ‘Map’ for the specific route
|Return Route Number||Return Walk||Distance||Route||Complete Circuit|
|34||St. Mary the Virgin Church – Ullenhall to Nativity of Blessed Virgin Mary Church – Studley||3.7 miles||Map||10.3 miles|
Studley Castle is a 19th century country house that is Grade 11 listed and is set in 28 acres of Warwickshire countryside. It is now occupied as a Warner Leisure Hotel, but was once owned by the Lyttleton family, before being bequeathed by Philip Lyttleton to his niece Dorothy, who married Francis Holyoake, the High Sheriff of Warwickshire. Studley Castle was completed in 1836 in the Gothic Revival Style and for the next 70 years it served as a family home until Francis Holyoake was declared bankrupt.
In 1903, Lady Warwick purchased the buildings and transformed them into the Studley Agricultural College for Women. Requisitioned by the Government, it became a training camp for the Women’s Land Army during the 1st and 2nd World Wars and remained a women’s – only college for the next 60 or so years.
In 1969, the building gained a Grade 11 listing and after a time as offices and a conference centre for the local automotive brand Rover, in 2006 it was converted again, this time into a Country House Hotel.
The building has never actually been used as a Castle. The site of the medieval castle of Studley is occupied by the nearby 16th century house known as Old Studley Castle.